Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Children and such....

I was thinking about some of the funny things that children do when they are too small and sometimes too dumb to know any different. Case in point!!!! I don't know how old I was when I finally decided that there wasn't any Easter Bunny! I told you before how I really cried when I found my Mother and Dad putting the toys under the tree one Christmas Eve!!! I felt betrayed and also felt that somehow, some of my childhood had gone!!!! Then I reflected back to when my children were small and how Cappy and I colored eggs half the night and fixed up home made nests for them, (we were too poor to buy the baskets and the candies that went in them for my older children.) But with a crayon, we did some decorating before we dipped the hard-boiled eggs into the cups with the Easter egg coloring in them. Neither he nor I were very good at drawing anything. BUT a simple Happy Easter on an otherwise dismal looking egg was quite an achievement!!!! I, to get back to myself and the Easter Bunny, was able to help my Mother, (Dad didn't get into the Easter egg bit!) were coloring eggs for the rest of the family this one particular night and Mother says, "Wow, I think I just saw the Easter Bunny!" I took off and ran upstairs and got into bed and pulled the covers up over my head and stayed there! All I could think of is a huge bunny rabbit someplace out there watching us color the eggs that he was supposed to be bringing!!!!!! Talk about dumb!!!! Mom just stood there and laughed and I'm sure she must have told my Father about it!!!!! There was another incident that I was thinking about the other night that involved my sister Genevieve and my oldest two Grandchildren when they were babies!! I baby-sat the two little ones for my son Bob and his wife Marilyn, who both worked. Tim must have been about two and Brian was little enough that my sister, the day I am talking about, had Brian in his car-seat in her car! I had something to do that day and so dropped off the two kids at my sister's house while I was busy. I told Gen that if the kids got tired to take them over to my house and put them down for a nap. So, since I was longer than I expected to be that is what she attempted to do, take them over to my house and put them down for a nap. She got out of the car with Tim behind her and started to carry their goodies into the house. In the meantime she laid the house keys on the coffee table and she and Tim went out and shut the door behind them. Trouble is, her car keys were with the house key. She was getting Brian out of the car-seat and happened to think about what she had done! What to do???? She tried the front windows at the house and the only window that happened to be unlocked was the one in my youngest two boys' room! In the first place Gen was large, (shall I say she was "weighty?") and so she knew that she would never get in the through the window and besides the window was a good four or five feet from the ground!!!! So she decided to put Tim in the window and have him open the door, which he could do by just going to the front door and opening it from the inside! Why she didn't just ask him to get her keys and bring them to her I'll never know! After she got Tim in the house, she could hear him running around and she kept trying to tell him to open the front door, then she would run to the front door and tell him to come and open the door for her and then she would hear him running back to the bedroom and and this made quite a little "game" for Brian who was sitting in the car-seat and kicking his little feet and enjoying the whole thing!!!! A neighbor showed up and brought over a chair so that Gen could possibly get in the window. Well, Gen had to really pull her weight up to get into the window and said she just flopped on one of the beds in the room. When she got up and went into the living room, there was Tim trying to open the front door with his little set of plastic keys!!!! She said the whole time she kept wondering if he might pull open a drawer and cut himself on a knife or do something possibly more drastic!!!! Tim was a pretty smart little kid and was only trying to open the door with a key!!! She said she was also thinking that he might spot her keys on the table and drop them someplace and who knows what!!!! I laughed so hard when she was telling me about him running around and all the thoughts that she had worried about! I came home and neither kid had had a nap and were really all "keyed" up!!!!! I must have had someone with me on my errand because I didn't drive until I was over 51 years old! But there was no such thing as cell phones or anything in those days. Gen said she was like she was between the devil and the dark blue sea! One baby in the locked house and another in a car that she couldn't have gone anyplace to get someone!! It's a wonder that the neighbor didn't think to call the police from her home and have some man come over and let her in!!!! But in a case like that I would have done the same thing!!!!! This same Tim is an over 6 foot man now and he will get a kick out of this, I know!!!!!!

No comments: