Thursday, June 5, 2014

Cars...

OK, So I was cleaning up the blog files under Mom's account and I found this entry.  I didn't look to see if she ever published this one. After reading it, it looks like she never finished the story, but I think we can pretty much guess the outcome. So I'll post it today in the hopes that it will interest you enough to read the rest of her entries!

Steve

What would you younger people think (and maybe some of the older ones) if I told you that we never had a "Brand-new" car?  I'll bet some of you are thinking, "Wow"!

 Well, it's true!  I started looking at some of these neighbors around here, poor as they seem to be, yet have two or more cars!  One fellow actually has three cars, a van, a truck and a motorcycle and today drove in pulling a motorboat!!  I asked him, "Hey, all these cars and a motorcycle aren't enough?'  He says, “Well, I've had this boat quite a while and had it out at a friend’s house but he wanted me to move it!" So, I asked him, "What are you going to do with it?  Put it in the backyard with your motorcycle?"  He told me he would but it wouldn't fit and besides "if" they ever build our gate back up, he could never get it in and out!  I wonder what he'll do with the motorcycle.

Anyway, Cappy bought the first car that we had just before we were married! Seemed like a good idea! That was the main reason he kept breaking our first dates! He had to borrow his brother's car!  I can't remember what brand it was but it had one seat in the front and a "rumble" seat!  Do you know what that is?  The trunk opened up from the top and a seat popped up!!!  It was a good car and we had it for a good long time!!! 

Finally though, it just absolutely conked out on us while driving to Mother and Dad's for Christmas!  We had no children yet and this trip gave us nothing but trouble for all the miles that we were able to travel in it!  We spent an hour here in a garage, and then would go a little farther and have to pull into another garage.

By six O'clock after one garage up by Livingston, Ca. stayed open for a couple of hours to get us on the road again, the car finally gave up the ghost again, not too far from Stockton, Ca. Here we sat! The car loaded with presents, and we didn't have cell phones or anything like that.  

Cappy recalled seeing a Motel back about a mile and said he would see if they had a room and at least we could call the folks and let them know what had happened!! He left me sitting in the car and I was crying my eyes out!!  I started to pray, first of all that I would be alright and then, that he could get a room! 

Before long I saw two people coming down the highway! One was Cappy and the other guy said that if we wanted to get to Stockton, he was heading that way and we could just load everything into his car and leave our car sit there till the day after Christmas when we could make some arrangements to get home and get the car back to Fowler, where we were living at the time!  We got to Sockton and he let us off at the Bus station. We called a cousin who lived in Stockton, and she and her husband came over and got us! They said we could spend the night with them and they would go up with us to Mother and Dad's! 

We didn't let the folks know anything about it after we had called them in Livingston!    

No comments: